A proposed new Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa for Australia has been announced. Here are the details:
- Available for either 3 or 5 years through sponsorship from an eligible child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. Temporary residents like 457 or student visa holders cannot sponsor parents for this visa.
- The visa can be extended up to a maximum of 10 years.
- Eligibility requirements for parents:
- Must meet identity, character and health requirements
- Their child must meet their sponsorship requirements
- Must not have any debts to the public health system in Australia
- Must hold private health insurance
- Eligibility requirements for sponsoring child:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have lived in Australia for at least 4 years
- Must meet a household income requirement
- Must meet character requirements
- Must be liable for any debt owing for care provided to the parent
- Visa conditions – no paid work allowed, can provide child care, can be a volunteer, and short term study is permitted
- The proposed application fees are:
- 3 year visa – $5,000
- 5 year visa – $10,000
- This new visa has been proposed, but still needs to pass through parliament. It will then hopefully be introduced from late 2017.
To stay up to date on this proposed visa, contact one of the eVisas Brisbane team on 07 3211 3700.