Skilled Visas

Want to work in Australia?

There are a range of temporary and permanent skilled visas available for skilled workers interested in working in Australia. Our team can help you choose the right visa for your needs and situation, guide you through the application process and give you the best chance of successfully acquiring your visa.

Skilled Migrant Visas

If you have skills that match the Australian skills shortage list, a Skilled Migrant Visa may be suitable. To be eligible for these types of visa, you must meet basic requirements listed below. Successful applicants are able to live, work and study in Australia.

There are three subclasses within this visa category:

  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
  • Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)

The application process involves the following steps:

  1. Obtain a positive skill assessment for your nominated occupation
  2. Lodge Expression of Interest (EOI)
  3. If you have applied for a subclass 190 or 491 the State or Territory processes your nomination
  4. The Department of Home Affairs invites you to lodge a visa application
  5. Lodge visa application

To qualify you must:

  • be aged from 18 to below 45
  • meet the Competent English requirement
  • nominate an occupation on the relevant occupation list
  • complete a positive skill assessment
  • meet the points test of at least 65 points
  • meet health and character requirements

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)

If you have skills that are in shortage in Australia, the Skilled Independent visa offers permanent residency with no sponsor required. Since this visa is designed to fill skill shortage areas, you will need to nominate an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list and pass a points test.

In 2017 the New Zealand Stream was introduced, creating an easier option for New Zealand Special Category (subclass 444) visa holders to obtain permanent residency.  Applicants need to meet residency and income requirements, but can skip most of the usual Skilled visa requirements. Please contact us to check that you qualify.

Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190)

This visa is the same as the subclass 189 but is nominated by an Australian State or Territory. Additional criteria for this visa include meeting the State or Territory requirements such as a nomination for an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list.

Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 491)

A Skilled Regional visa allows the holder to live and work in a specified regional area for up to 5 years. You will need to be nominated by either a State or Territory, or eligible relative who is an Australian Citizen, permanent resident or eligible NZ citizen.

After holding this visa for two years you may qualify for permanent residency via a subclass 887 visa.

Graduate Visas

As well as assisting student visa applications, eVisas are experienced in successful Graduate visa applications. Below is an overview of the two main types of visas that might be suitable for you if you are currently, or will soon be, a graduate.

Skilled Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476)

If you are a recent engineering graduate of a recognized institution, you may be eligible to gain up to 18 months work experience in Australia on a Skilled Recognised Graduate visa.

To apply you must:

  • be 18 years or older and under 31 years old
  • have completed an engineering degree within the last two years
  • meet the Competent English requirement
  • meet the health and character requirements

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

The Temporary Graduate visa is designed to allow international students to live and work in Australia from 18 months to four years depending on individual circumstances.

This type of visa has two streams:

  1. Graduate Work Stream: you must have an Australian qualification for an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), be aged from 18 to 50, have competent English, and meet the Australian study requirement.
  2. Post-Study Work Stream: you must have an Australian qualification, at Bachelor degree level or higher, for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), be aged 18 and below 50, have had your first student visa granted after 5 November 2011, and have competent English. Your visa length will depend on course – two years for Bachelor or Masters (coursework), three years for Masters (research), and four years for PhD.

To find out which visa is best suited to your needs contact our Brisbane Migration team using the form below or call us on 0404 041 173. We will personally help you through every step of the process for an efficient application that gives you the best chance of acceptance.