The Australian Government announced several changes to the Partner Visa Program in its Federal Budget on 6 October 2020
Following is our summary of the changes:
- Available places for permanent migration remain at 160,000 for the 2020/21 financial year.
- Family Stream places dramatically increase from 47,732 to 77,300, with 72,300 of these being for Partner visas. Great news! Why? This should see a significant improvement in the processing times of Partner visa applications.
- Onshore Partner visa applications will be prioritised, particularly where the sponsoring partner resides in a designated regional area.
- Introduction of English language requirements for both the visa applicant and sponsoring partner, at the permanent visa stage.
- No increase in the visa application fee for Partner visas
- Application of the Family Sponsorship Framework, which includes:
- Approval of the visa applicant’s partner as a sponsor before the visa application can be lodged.
- Mandatory character checks for sponsors and sharing of personal information.
- Improve the management of family violence.
- Imposing statutory obligations on sponsors.
Overall these are positive changes with the Government recognising the importance of family migration, while protecting the livelihoods of all involved.
Please note that these changes are not yet in effect, we will keep you up to date when they are confirmed.
How we can help?
We initially provide a free consultation, so we can check that you qualify and advise the best visa pathway for you. We will then assist with the preparation and processing of the application, to make it very easy for you, and ensure the application is lodged completely and correctly. We pride ourselves on the exceptional service we provide to our clients, always contactable by phone and respond efficiently to emails.
With over 14 years of experience with successful Partner visa applications, we give you the peace of mind that it is all looked after for you.