Family Visas

Applying for a family visa in Australia?

Australia has visas specifically designed to allow children, parents, partners and other relatives to live in Australia with their loved ones. Our team know exactly what you need to be reunited with your family and will make your visa application process straightforward and stress free.

If you would like more information about the different types of family visas please refer to the information below or call us on +61 7 3211 3700.

Partner (subclass 309/100 and 820/801)

If you are in a genuine and continuing relationship with an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, you may be eligible for a Partner visa. Married, engaged or de facto partners can apply – this includes same-sex couples.

The success of your partner visa is dependent upon the quality of evidence you have to prove the genuine nature of your relationship. This will be considered carefully by Australian Immigration and must include:

  • Financial aspects
  • Nature of the household
  • Social aspects
  • Nature of your commitment to each other

Partners are usually granted a provisional visa first and can apply after the initial application has been lodged. If you are in a long term relationship, you can get permanent residency approval if you can show evidence of the genuine and continuing nature of your relationship. Find out more about partner visas here. 

Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300)

The Prospective Marriage Visa allows you to travel to Australia for nine months to marry your Australian partner. To complete a successful application you must show evidence that you have met physically and have booked your marriage ceremony. Applications must be lodged while outside of Australia.

Once you are married you can then apply for the Partner visa outlined above.

Parent Visas (subclass 103, 143, 173, 804, 864, 884)

Parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen can obtain permanent residency in Australia through a Parent Visa. To be eligible for this visa the child sponsoring you must be settled in Australia for at least two years. You will also need to pass the ‘balance of family test’ – at least half of your children live permanently in Australia or more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

There are four different types of Parent visas:

  1. Parent visa: parents aged below the current pension age apply offshore and may need to wait up to 30 years.
  2. Aged Parent visa: parents above the pension age can apply onshore and be granted a bridging visa while it is being processed. This can also take up to 30 years to be processed.
  3. Contributory Parent visa: parents below the pension age apply offshore and should have their visa processed in less than 2 years. The fee is over $47,000 per parent.
  4. Contributory Aged Parent visa: parents above the pension age can apply onshore and be granted a bridging visa. The Contributory Aged Parent visa is processed in less than two years and fees cost more than $47,000 per parent.

Other Family Visas

Child visas

Children can settle permanently in Australia with a sponsoring parent who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible NZ Citizen. The child must be younger than 18 or still dependent on their parents.

Remaining Relative visa

If all your close relatives are Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible NZ citizens who live in Australia you may be eligible for permanent residency through the Remaining Relative visa.

Carer visa

The Carer visa allows you to settle in Australia to care for a relative with a long-term or permanent medical condition. You must demonstrate that there is no one else in Australia who can provide the care and the relative requiring care will need to be assessed Bupa Medical Visa Services.

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa

This is a temporary visa for a non-NZ citizen who is a family member of an eligible NZ citizen. It is valid for up to five years.

It is important to find the correct visa for your needs – contact our team using the form below or call us on 0404 041 173 for a simple and efficient visa application.